Irvine is a city with diverse cultures, beautiful attractions, world-class golf courses, stellar education system, diverse dining and shopping, entertainment and outdoor adventures. Did you know that Irvine is one of the safest cities to live in America? Did you that Irvine is one of the world’s largest planned urban communities? Did you know that “In-N-Out-Burger”, the popular West Coast burger chain has headquarters in Irvine? Know more such interesting facts about Irvine.
Image By The original uploader was Minesweeper at English Wikipedia (Transferred from en.wikipedia to Commons.) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], via Wikimedia Commons
Irvine Geographic and Demographic Fast Facts
- Irvine is located in the center of Orange County, CA.
- The city is approx 45 miles of Los Angeles (south) and 90 miles of San Diego (north).
- It is the twenty-eighth largest city in California.
- It is one of the largest planned urban communities in America.
- The city is bordered by Santa Ana, Laguna Woods, Newport Beach, Tustin and Costa Mesa.
- The convergence of El Toro Y and the Irvine Spectrum is one of the world’s busiest freeway junctions.
- The ethnic composition of Irvine includes: White-50.5%, Asian-39.2%, African American-1.8%, Native American-0.2%, Pacific Islander-0.2%, from other races-2.8%, and two or more races-5.5%.
Irvine History Fast Facts
- About 2000 years ago, the Gabrielino indigenous people inhabited Irvine.
- In 1769, a Spanish explorer Gaspar de Portola settled in the area, which led to the formation of missions and forts.
- In 1953, the city hosted the first National Boy Scout rally on the West Coast.
- The city comprises of many villages, and the first was built in the 1960s.
- In 1971, Irvine was officially incorporated as a city.
Irvine Government and Economy Fast Facts
- Irvine has a Council-Manager type of government.
- It is ranked 7th in the US as a city with residents 25 yrs or above holding doctoral degrees.
- The city is home to several Fortune 1000 companies, including Broadcom Corporation, Gateway, Inc., eMachines, Vizio and more.
- Many corporations have their international or national headquarters here, mainly in semiconductors and technology industry.
- The city has a well-developed education system and also a low crime rate.
- According to 24/7 Wall Street (2014), it is one of the best-run cities in America, for its high median income, government and strong economy.
- It is one of the world’s largest planned urban communities.
- It is home to the University of California.
- It is among the top cities for start-up businesses.
Irvine Important and Interesting Fast Facts
- According to CNNMoney.com (2008), Irvine was the 4th best place to live in the US.
- According to Businessweek (2011), Irvine was the 5th best city in the US.
- It is listed as one of the “Safest Big Cities in the United States” by the FBI each year since 2005.
- Irving is listed as one of the top 100 best places to live by Livability.com (2013 &2016).
- According to MyLife (2014), it is listed as one of the 10 best cities in America to raise children.
- “Taco Bell”, the Mexican chain giant has headquarters in Irvine.
- The city is a heaven for gamers as it has the headquarters of “Blizzard Entertainment”, a video gaming industry.
- “In-N-Out-Burger”, the popular West Coast burger chain has headquarters in Irvine, CA.
- According to Forbes (2012), Irvine was ranked 6th in the “Top 10 cities with the Happiest Young Professionals”.
- According to WalletHub (2014), it is ranked fifth in the “Best and Worst Cities for Families
- According to Daily Beast (2013), it is honored as one of "America's Thriving Cities, From Seattle to Boston".
- It won the "Best City to Live In" award at the Best of Orange County 19th Annual People's Choice (2012)
- According to Movoto Real Estate (2014), it was listed as one of the “10 Best Places to Live in California”.